Wednesday 19 March 2014

Another great Letter to the Editor at the Chronicle Journal...by a man I know.....


 Another great Letter to the Editor at the Chronicle Journal...by a man I know.....
Let us vote on it
Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I take offence to the editorial March 17 tilted On To The Next Stage. It proves that brainwashing works. How can a reasonable, intelligent news service such as The Chronicle-Journal be sucked into the idea that no one on administration or council can come up with a simple one-line question to see if there is truly city support for the proposed event centre? The question is not that difficult: “Are you in favour of building a new event center holding 1,500 people (sic) Yes? or No?”

The concept put forward by the editorial is that there is evidence of majority public support for this venture. I expected more diligence from my local editorial staff. There is no proof anywhere that the majority of citizens support this venture and the true proof can only be gained by a plebiscite.

The concept to not allow a plebiscite is just a ploy to ensure that this passes after the election when it is supported by a small minority of the public.

At every presentation I attended I saw the same faces of at least 40 to 60 people, so by adding the same 60 times 10 meetings does not equal 600 people; it still only means 60.

One of the biggest issues facing our city is voter turnout. The plan to go forward without a plebiscite will guarantee that the turnout in the next election will be worse, not better.

I am calling on all my fellow citizens to make a statement. If this council does not ratify a simple, one-question plebiscite for the upcoming civic election, then no member of this council should receive a single vote.

I will do my part to have a complete purge of the old guard that talks transparency but talk is cheap.

I am tired of being told I cannot make my own decision so therefore I will not be allowed.

I will never be convinced that this concept is a good idea, but if a plebiscite is held, I as a citizen of a democracy will bow to the desires of the majority.
Why is council and administration afraid of that basic democratic concept?

Vern Seymour
Thunder Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment