Sunday 3 February 2013

The Alzheimer Society of Thunder Bay's "WALK FOR MEMORIES" event....

Part Number 1 of a 3 Part Posting/Story.....Today's Date: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3rd, 2013 time 9:30 a.m until 12 Noon...this was the Alzheimer Society of  Thunder Bay's "WALK FOR MEMORIES" event held inside at the Intercity Mall....what an awesome group of volunteers I met...they were all so pumped up for this walk....I saw and briefly spoke with mayor HOBBS...he mentioned to me that he was not really feeling up to par...he complained about having a sore and or heavy chest as if from a chest cold and said that his head was feeling stuffed up as well.....I said to him well I walk almost everywhere I go...and that the cold does not bother me what so ever because as a previous construction worker when I was first year apprentice we were working out at the Hydro Generating Station out of the island and that the health and safety person with London-Monenco cam up to elevation 698 feet above sea level...and that was almost to the top of that building folks where it was we were working outside during the winter months....anyway when the engineer measured the temperature he compared his reading with that of our local weather office and he stated that he believed that his reading was very close to the reported minus 65 degrees Fah. with the wind chill factor here in January and the wind howling at us right off of Lake Superior...regardless we continued to work in it...hey we could not just pack it all up and go home....because that is not what construction workers do...so we toughed it out as I like to call it....

So I said to him that he would have never made it in the construction industry idf he is bothered with the temperatures like we had today...I think he needs to get outside more often and actually walk at least 5 to 10 kms in this weather...if he does that for a few weeks...he will start to get used to being out in the cold and his body will be able to handle it a whole lot better that how it deals with colder weather as of today....

Also I saw my 2nd cousin M.P.P. Bill Mauro at this event, he was standing along side mayor Hobbs as I finished up with filling out my registration form and receiving my Alzheimer Society Tee-Shirt.....they were watching the opening ceremonies and entertainment one minute and then they seemed to disappear....I was busy talking with friends Jack Wall and Jamie Gerow and then we took a photo together and poof....Hobbs and Mauro were no where to be seen....I guess they were just there for the photo-op in the long run...too bad they did not participate in the entire walk which ended at noon...and guess what..I had also met up with long, long time family friend "SARGON Khuybar"....we walked around together for about an hour just talking and catching up on each others lives...his younger brother EDDY was one of my best friends growing up...and Sargon brought me up too speed on Eddies life and how he is doing...and I am more that happy to report my old pal is doing ABSOLUTELY GREAT out in British Columbia... was the last one walking right up until 3 minutes until 12 noon...the girls were waiting for me as they were watching my leather coat for me while I was doing the walk in the mall...they laughed when they saw me motoring towards then....and one of the young ladies said...well Jimmy it is about time you finally showed up back here....to which I happily replied...hey is not 12 noon yet...that is when this event was supposed to run up until is it not.....the young lady said yes that was correct.....and I said hey there are 3 minutes to go until it is officially over...LOL...we laughed and then I received my coat and my LOOT bag from them for participating and then started out the door on my way to the SUPERSTORE..:)
















No comments:

Post a Comment