Thursday 8 November 2012

My Open Letter of Thursday, November 8th, 2012 to the Editor at the Chronicle Journal submission in response to: All better off appreciating what each contribut...


----- Original Message -----
From: Jim
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:28 AM
Subject: My Open Letter to the Editor at the Chronicle Journal submission in response to: All better off appreciating what each contributes: as written by city council member Paul Pugh

Date:Thursday,November 8th, 2012
 
Subject: My Letter to the Editor at the Chronicle Journal submission in response to: All better off appreciating what each contributes: as written by city council member Paul Pugh and published on your website.
 
Good day Paul, I hope this message finds you and yours well forgive me in advance however in reading your thoughts...I must say what it is I am about to in relation to your published article...I have no hesitation or difficulty in doing so in any public forum allotted myself...so with that said I have to say that your complete disrespectful and most cowardly engagement with myself on the evening of Monday, November 5th, 2012 during which time I was present at city hall to present "2" deputation's one of which was in relation to the "Hillcrest Park" state of both disrepair I found it too be in just over 2 years ago and also the quality of the so called repair's which have been done this past summer of which both you and your fellow council member Brian McKinnon were both advising myself of...was most disappointing.

Your overall actions when it comes down to dealing in a professional manner with the various subject matter's which I feel the need as a very concerned resident and have brought to not only your attention but to all currently sitting as our elected representatives at city hall in Thunder Bay are nothing short of being a total "FARCE"...in relation to your statement of "We can be sure that each has its own unique contribution and we are all better off when we appreciate what each contributes." as published in your article.(please note the font I have chosen to use in conjunction with my comments is none other than "Comic Sands MS"...go figure.!). I might add that I am a lifelong resident of Thunder Bay and care about the city as well.

With that said and out of the way may I now turn your attention to your lead in statement of "Today’s Thunder Bay is the product of many generations’ interactions in working and living together. " which are more than true however a mans actions at the end of any given day will always speak volumes when compared to the words he utters. I find this to be more than fitting of a description when it comes to you as both a elected official as well a man.

I believe from  my previous inter-actions with you in my attempts to address what I believe to be important situations and scenarios in our city that you have been nothing but an overall  disappointment to deal with you can and do talk the talk un-fortunately I find you incapable of actually walking the walk as goes that most popular saying of old.

I can provide to the general public many, many examples to back up my thoughts on your overall performance of your being a city council member who is mandated to look out for the best interests of the residents that you have been elected to serve which I believe are very sub-standard to be kind in my choice of attempting to describe my take on your effectiveness to date.
 
In closing, please note that I have submitted this letter using the on-line format provided for by the Chronicle Journal as well I hope they do publish my letter in the delivered newspaper as well, I hope that in the future you and the balance of city council as well some of out city administrators will both view my concerns raised with the intent of actually addressing them in real terms as well provide myself with the respect that you would of anyone else, which has been most contrary to the way in which I have been treated to date.
 
Regards,
Jim Gamble Jr.
Thunder Bay

*****End of my letter to the editor at the Chronicle Journal*****
 
Please note below: Here is city council member Paul Pugh's letter of which I submit my reply letter to the editor at your publication.

All better off appreciating what each contributes

in
ONE CITY, MANY VOICES
By Paul Pugh
Today’s Thunder Bay is the product of many generations’ interactions in working and living together.
These interactions involved long-established peoples and cultures with peoples and cultures from distant lands.
We can be sure that each has its own unique contribution, and we are all better off when we appreciate what each contributes.
For most of my adult life, I was employed as a welder, first at the Port Arthur Shipyards, then at Can-Car/Bombardier.
Recently, on viewing a photograph of beautiful 3,500-year-old copper tools and ornaments (dart and lance heads, knives, chisels, awls, punches, bracelets, pendants) from the Thunder Bay-Nipigon region, I was reminded of how ancient the art of metal working is in our region.
Copper for these objects was obtained from regional sites, from Isle Royal to Nipigon, a reminder also of how ancient mining is in our region. The production of high-quality metal objects required a high degree of skill, which must have come from years of practice, and no doubt passed down from one generation to another. Mining skills were probably acquired in a similar fashion.
The existence of individuals with metal working and mining expertise could only happen in a society where other individuals, with other skill sets, assisted those with metal working and mining skills, with the provision of food, clothing, shelter and transportation.
In this type of society, each person contributed with her/his skills to the general welfare.
During a period of unemployment from the shipyard, I worked at Old Fort William, in the role of cooper’s apprentice.
During my stay at the Fort, I came to appreciate the skill sets brought to our area by French, Metis and Scottish people engaged in the fur trade.
While learning a little of the cooper’s skills, I was also able to observe something of the blacksmith, tinsmith, carpenter, and other trades.
These, combined with First Nation canoes, snowshoes, trapping and other skill sets, comprised a vibrant society for a time.
My years in the workplace and as a union activist allowed me to learn something of the varied cultural backgrounds that make up Thunder Bay: Italian, Ukrainian, Finnish, Croatian, and many others.
Each has contributed to the making of our community.
Recently, the historic Fort William First Nation-Thunder Bay Declaration of Commitment opens another page, with more possibilities for our neighbouring communities.
Interestingly, one of the first economic joint projects is centered on mining, an activity we have literally thousands of years’ experience in.
This project, and others to follow, will be strengthened to the extent that we increasingly appreciate and respect our rich and diverse cultural heritage.

Paul Pugh is a Thunder Bay city councillor and member of the city’s Anti-Racism Advisory Committee which produces this monthly column to promote greater understanding of race relations in Northwestern Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment